- Dec 31 – 8 cases
- January 17 – 41 cases
- January 20 – 198 cases; President Xi Jinping took over.
- Jan 23 – unprecedented lockdown on Wuhan, the economic engine and transportation hub of China’s central heartland
- Feb 4 – 20,000 cases
- Scores of cases have also been confirmed in several countries in the Asia-Pacific region as well as Europe, North America and the Middle East.
- Over five million people had already left the city for the Lunar New Year holiday.
- Now, the virus has spread to every region in the country
- Scores of cases have also been confirmed in several countries in the Asia-Pacific region as well as Europe, North America, and the Middle East. Two deaths only outside China in Hong Kong, Philippines
The U.S. has imposed its first federally required quarantine since the smallpox era, half a century ago. Airline passengers from China are now subject to two weeks in isolation.